Search here

Why I'm still Single


A new friend, after a brief chat said “my regards to your wife and kids” as a parting shot.  Before I could explain to him in my modest words, another guy just cut in “it’ll make more sense if you send those regards to cockroaches and rats in his room because he neither has a wife nor a kid.” Yekpa!  All I left the scene with was a lame grin. I went back to my cockroaches and rats; after a thought for a while I see no reason why my decision should change so suddenly especially because someone who doesn’t care about what I think of marriage made a joke out of my bachelorhood.

The rate at which people ask me when I will be getting married these days is embarrassingly becoming a thing of concern to me.
Imagine someone just walked up to me and run some calculations of my age and how old I will be before my first child will graduate from university, how I will have to pay their school fees out of pension, how old I will be before my kids will get a job after school, and so on. This is true and I can’t agree less that it is not a good idea to marry late but why not listen to my calculations that’s more mental than your figures first, maybe you would have the guts to turn that calculator on by the time I finish.

Here in the north, the moment a boy or a male child (which ever one you choose apt) is biologically ripe to have feelings for female; he will be given a girl to marry especially when he has something doing to put food on their table. All other things as Emotional Maturity, Compatibility, and the likes are but secondary. After all, his female counterpart too dare not dream of crossing her Silver Jubilee Birthday under her parents’ roof as she might be considered too old for any eye-catching young boy, safe she’s ready to be a third or fourth wife. I like this idea too because it has, in its little ways helped to reduce the rate of juvenile immorality or at least, militate against its glorification. I also have my reservations here though.

The truth is, I love to get married too and on time. As a teenager, my target was 25 but the closer I hustled past that age without even noticing it, I have more reasons to be patient the more. Now I am closer to 30 than 25 and no sign in sight to justify my readiness to say “YES! I do” safe for some unreasonably sensual BBM chats, SMSs, and midnight calls. I know it’s a rocking chair; it gets me busy but takes me nowhere. I still have reasons for being a bachelor still, which to me are reasonable so, change my pattern of thought first before you talk me into getting married.

What’s it about Marriage even if…?
The rate at which marriages collapse now in our society is so alarming. My estranged neighbor sent his wife parking the other day and feels so proud to tell anyone who cares to listen to his tale of freedom from bondage of 17 years. I won’t doubt it if I were told that he gave a testimony about it in his church. With his level of excitement, I also won’t be surprised if he throws a Divorce Parties and invite friends and “well-wishers” to celebrate his divorce anniversary next year; he might even choose aso-ebi, hire a hall, invite a popular musicians, and sorts.
I fear, questions like "So when are you getting divorced?" will soon become commonplace. If marriage is such a sweet experience, why is the rate of divorce on the high side?

The Points are…
If I know I can't handle the weight & pressures of marriage, why won’t I remain single?
If I don't know what joy is in marriage, “abeg” let me remain single until I do.
If the only reason you ask me to get married to that lady is because of the things you think I’ll gain from her, “biko” allow me to remain single.
If I know I can't be faithful, why should I be married?
If I can't endure insults from her, don’t you think I should remain single?
If I can't forgive her wrongs, even her extra-marital affairs, please get me a soft heart while I remain single.
If I can't place her above every other human being, why ask me to marry anyways?

For me ooo…
 I won't get married out of desperation."All my friends are getting married" is the most foolish reason to get married! I desire a successful home, so the choices friends make are not forces to reckon with, don’t you think? So be very mindful of where you go for advices as many would give, but not many mean well.

So Guys…
If you know you can't put your wife ahead of your ego, please remain single till you're mature. Your woman should be the priority and EVERYTHING else including you comes last. You are the teacher, the guide, the bodyguard, the role model. You are not a deity or God to expect to worship. Yes you need respect, so earn it by being responsible!

And Ladies…
If you know you can't be faithful, submissive, and soft-hearted please don't go into marriage to avoid being turned to a punch bag. Mrs. I know it all, if you know you can't stand being corrected, please remain single ooo. Ladies check your domestic scorecard - if your score is not improving by up to 15% per annum, I advise you please remain single. Be ready to balance your husband’s income with your taste or be ready to work to support him; else don’t walk down that isle with him.

Now you see why I still make my bed every morning, cook and dish my food, wash my clothes and dishes, and why kids are not disrupting my nap yet. But I bet, soon, very soon I will take the plunge; good or bad, for Better For worse. I cherish family life dearly. So help me God!


Get free email updates!

Follow us!

Subscribe

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Related Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...