Search here

LOOKING FOR JOB? READ THIS

I'm a Nigerian and I've lived my over-30-years' life here on Nigeria. In fact, I've never stepped my feet beyond the shores of Nigeria, so I know a bit of how issue of unemployment bite. The fear of futile job seeking get more real when you realize that over 200,000 Nigerians graduate yearly and the rate of unemployment as at December 2017 pegged at 18.8% (- The National Bureau of Statistics). Well I'm not here to create more fear or make Nigeria look unlivable, remember once again that I've lived here all my life.
Job Vacancy

The preceding is just to create a picture of how many people will eventually need to read this post. This is not to create panic. Like a typical Nigerian that I am, I'd say "what's gonna be is gonna be and what's yours will always locate you". Beyond our sayings lie the bitter truth though. I am here to talk about the two basic truth surrounding your ability to bag your dream job. You cant afford to continually leave your destiny in the hands of chances, it's time to know what need to be known and do what need to be done.
To stand a better chance of been selected by a prospective recruiter or employer., you must take these two things seriously:

Put out a great CV. One sure way to land a job is by getting your CV out there. Your CV is like your marketer so don't take it casually. I have seen many CVs that turn off HRs, instead of being assessed, they become an object of ridicule.. If you can't prepare it yourself, hire the services of a pro to do it for you, it doesn't cost much here in Nigeria and many job search sites now render that service for a token. If you are required to send your CV for job consideration, though CV is all they asked for, please don't send an email with a blank subject or body; never fall in that trap. Even if not asked, compose your cover letter in the body of the email as you attache the CV. Also carefully edit the name of the file you're attaching, not something like... My Cv00004.doc, NEVER!

but more than that... 

Network. It's no longer about who you know but who knows you.
The truth is, many professional bodies like ICAN are now doing more of professional networking than competence assessment. Break in, I mean, join them if you can't beat them.
I have heard many Nigerians talk down on Networking and saying No No to Network Marketing business but I say, it is the easiest way to learn how to connect with people from different walks of life. Networking will help you learn the skills needed to sell yourself and any product your future job may place in your hands. Good network will open career doors that the best CV can't.
If possible, call the HR persons handling the recruitment process, not to just lobby but to know if anything is needful to give you an edge. If eventually you're not selected, call still to appreciate the opportunity for the application in the first place. Let them know you still are interested if given another chance in the future. Trust me, they wont forget a guy like you next time they're selecting.

Take Networking seriously, it is the real thing. Don't just know, Be Known!

#iAmEyitayo
Twitter: @bayotee

Get free email updates!

Follow us!

Subscribe

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Related Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...